Developers, Property Solutions and QM Properties, have transformed a site that had laid derelict for nearly 20 years into a landmark retail and commercial precinct, successfully integrating three of Brisbane’s key heritage listed buildings with contemporary architecture.
The three heritage listed buildings from the Police era remaining on the site are the stables (1912), the three storey brick barracks (1939) and the radio communications centre (1941).
In 2009 the efforts were rewarded when The Barracks won two prestigious UDIA Awards for Urban Renewal and best large Retail/Commercial development.
The Barracks is located at 61 Petrie Terrace Brisbane
1860 – 1883
Brisbane Petrie Terrace Gaol
Accommodating 96 prisoners in 2 cell blocks.
1883 – 1885
Petrie Terrace Police Depot
Police training and operations, stabling horses, motor vehicle depot.
Remaining gaol buildings demolished
Sandstone foundations recovered during excavation have been featured in and around the new development.
State Government approved development application for the $120 million mixed-use development.
With a striking transformation, The Barracks opens for business.